Best day trips from Marrakech
Although Marrakech has numerous enchanting and beautiful attractions and interesting museums, there are also wonderful things to see and do.
Some of the most worthwhile day-trips are:
- The Ouzoud Falls, located 93 miles (150 km) northeast of Marrakech, are the most magnificent and impressive waterfalls in Morocco and North Africa. The landscape and the coolness of the area make this day-trip extremely worthwhile.
- Essaouira, also known as the Pearl of the Atlantic, is a small fortified town on the Atlantic coast located 124 miles (200 km) west of Marrakesh. It is home to some of the most popular beaches of the area.
- One of the most popular day trips from Marrakech is to the Ourika Valley. You will follow the Ourika River at the foothills of the impressive High Atlas. It offers one of the most surprising sceneries.
- Ouarzazate is a town located 124 miles (200 km) to the southeast of Marrakech. It became world-famous for its movie studios and is often nicknamed The door of the desert. It is on the edge of the Sahara Desert and has beautiful architecture that make it a very appealing tourist destination.
- The Sahara Desert is the world’s largest hot desert, similar in size to the whole of China. Discover the different ways to explore the desert from Marrakech.
How to book these day-trips?
Join a tour group
The easiest and most hassle-free way of taking part in one of these day-trips is to book an organized tour in advance.
- Car rental: You can rent a car in Marrakech to get to these various attractions. However, keep in mind that the roads are sometimes not always very good and that you might get stopped by corrupt policemen.
- Finding one of the tour companies close to Jemaa el-Fnaa: If you arrive in Marrakech and haven’t previously booked a tour, you can reserve one in any of the local tour companies around the main square, Jemaa el-Fnaa. The drawback of these tours is that they are in several languages at the same time and in large vehicles that are sometimes very old. Said this, the tours are normally cheap.
- Hiring a taxi for the whole day: This is the cheapest option. The biggest inconvenience is that the drivers normally speak very little English, the taxis are normally old and the driving leaves a lot to be desired.