Top Attractions in Marrakech
Marrakech (Marrakesh) is not a city that stands out for its monuments or museums, instead it captivates tourists because of how disparate it is from other top tourist destinations. Its vibrant souks and colourful riads, mixed with the hustle and bustle of Marrakech’s inhabitants make this town fascinating. Having said this, there are several tourist attractions that are definitely worthwhile.
Top things to do in Marrakech
The following attractions are not to be missed. We have ranked them, in our opinion, from best to less interesting.
- The Jemaa el-Fnaa is Marrakech’s main square and the most important part of the medina. It has become the symbol of the city and is always full of life.
- The souks of Marrakech’s medina are a maze of market stalls where the vibrant colours blend with the smell of spices and shouts of merchants. Tourists will find all sorts of souvenirs in the souks.
- The Koutoubia Mosque is Marrakech’s most important mosque and was one of the largest house of worship for followers of Islam when it was completed in 1158.
- Built in the late nineteenth century, the Bahia Palace is one of the most beautiful palaces in Marrakech. It was built with the idea of being the most impressive palace in the world.
- The Ben Youssef Madrasa was the largest and most important Islamic school in Morocco. It has over 130 rooms and housed over 900 students.
- The Saadian Tombs are one of the most popular tourist sites in Marrakech. They were open to the public in 1917 when they were discovered and is the resting place of the Saadi dynasty.
- El Badi Palace was built at the end of the sixteenth century to commemorate the victory of the Battle of the Three Kings against the Portuguese. Currently the building is in ruins, but it is enough to get an idea of how stately “The Incomparable” was.
Best Museums in Marrakech
- Housed in the Dar Menebhi Palace, dating from the nineteenth century, the Marrakech Museum features various collections of weapons, pottery and other objects. It is worth visiting mostly because of the palace.
- The Dar Si Said Museum is officially called the Museum of Moroccan Arts, which features antiques, arms and some of the oldest objects in Marrakech.
Best Parks and Gardens in Marrakech
Other important visits
- Gueliz is the heart of the modern part of Marrakech and represents the rise of capitalism in Marrakech. Its main avenues are Mohammed VI and Mohammed V.
Once you have visited the city centre and Gueliz, we recommend doing some of the various day-trips and excursions available from Marrakech.