Immerse yourself in the depths of the Sahara Desert as you drive along the Dakar Rally track on a 5-day private trip from Marrakech.
5 Day Dakar Track and Merzouga Desert Trip
Day 1: Marrakesh - Aït Benhaddou - Ouarzazate
On the first day we leave behind Marrakech in the morning to hit the road towards Ouarzazate. On the way we cross the striking Atlas Mountains, crossing through the stunning Tizi n'Tichka mountain pass, 2,260 metres high.
Shortly after crossing the Atlas, we turn down a road towards Telouet Kasbah. Cross numerous Berber hamlets until we get to Aït Benhaddou Kasbah, the most impressive 800-year fortified city in all Morocco, and backdrop to movies such as Lawrence of Arabia, Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven.
At the end of the visit, we will head to Ouzarzazate, home to the well-known Atlas Studios. Here we will spend the first night.
Day 2: Ouarzazate – Agdz – Draa Valley – Tazarine – El Mharech Oasis
After a healthy breakfast and visiting the splendid Taourirt Kasbah, we will make our way to Zagora by crossing the Anti-Altas mountain through the Tizi n-Tinifift mountain pass, 1,600 meters high.
Delve into the magnificent Draa Valley along a dirt road and admire various Berber villages and kasbahs flanking the narrow waterway. Leave charming villages behind like N’kob, Tarazine and Alnif and drive to Mharech Gorges. The original Dakar Rally track normally runs past these beautiful landscapes.
Complete the day by spending the night in a typical riad in the middle of the desert.
Day 3: Mharech - Ramlia Oasis - Ouzina Dunes - Merzouga
On the third day, we will pursue the tracks of the Dakar Rally and marvel at tiny villages, crossing wadis, oasis and the Ouzina Dunes.
Visit the well-known village of Khamlia, founded by the descents of African slaves and enjoy typical folklore music from this area.
From Khamlia, we will drive to Erg Chebbi, the highest dunes in Morocco. Upon arrival, hop on a camel, which will take you to the camp situated in the middle of the large sea of dunes. It will take approximately one and a half hours. You will sleep in an authentic Berber camp.
Day 4: Merzourga – Rissani – Todra Gorges – Dadès Valley
After witnessing a breath-taking sunrise in the dunes, ride your camel back to the jeep. You will stop at a hotel to have a shower (depending on the type of camp, breakfast and the shower might be before the camel ride).
Feeling refreshed, the driver will head to the town of Rissani, where the Alawi Dynasty are originally from. Rissani was also the first imperial capital of Morocco.
Take the road to Erfoud, famous for its marble quarries until you arrive at the palm grove of Tafilat.
Visit the Todgha Gorges and then make your way to the Dades Valley, where you will spend the fourth night.
Day 5: Dades Valley – Valley of the Roses – Skoura – Marrakech
Leave Dades Valley behind along the Route of the Thousand Kasbahs and drive past the Valley of the Roses until you get to the palm grove of Skoura, where the most famous kasbah of the area is situated.
From here, you will head back to Marrakech.
- Ouarzazate: Hotel Les Jardins de Ouarzazate / Hotel La Valle / Hotel Saghro.
- Mharech: Riad Nomad / Riad Les Jardins de Tafraoute / Kasbah Ramlia.
- Merzouga: Haimas Camp.
- Dades / Valle del Roses: Dar Essyaha / Hotel Babylon / Kasbah Itran.
- Ouarzazate: Kasbah Dar Chamaa / Hotel la Perle du Sud / Le Petit Riad.
- Mharech: Riad Nomad / Riad Les Jardins de Tafraoute / Kasbah Ramlia.
- Merzouga: Azawad Luxury Desert Camp.
- Dades: Xaluca Dades / La Perle du Dades / Auberge Chez Pierre.
The standard rooms have shared bathrooms, whilst the luxury accommodation comes with private bathrooms.
You can view photos of both camps following the below links.
Both hotels and tents are double occupancy only, there are no single rooms. You can however ask for a triple room or a family room if you prefer. The standard category rooms have communal showers in the camp, while the superior category rooms have a private bathroom in the haimas and showers in the camp.
Children between 2 and 10 years old have 50% off and infants under 2 do not pay. Please contact us if you would like to book this activity with children up to 10 years old.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
This is a private tour organized for you and your partner, friends or family.
Up to 2 GuestsUS$ 1,121
Up to 3 GuestsUS$ 1,291
Up to 4 GuestsUS$ 1,449
Up to 5 GuestsUS$ 1,585
Up to 6 GuestsUS$ 1,766
Up to 2 GuestsUS$ 1,404
Up to 3 GuestsUS$ 1,630
Up to 4 GuestsUS$ 1,993
Up to 5 GuestsUS$ 2,242
Up to 6 GuestsUS$ 2,582
The tour is exclusively in English.
Private multiple day trip, exclusively for you, your family and friends.
Pick up from your hotel, riad, airport or another meeting point.
Transport by 4x4.
English speaking chauffeur.
4 nights accommodation with dinner and breakfast included.
Fuel, tolls and other associated costs.
Camel ride to get to the camp.
Lunches and drinks.
Entrance to the kasbahs and Atlas Studios.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (12:00 PM local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - Is it possible to take this tour if we are a group of more than six?
A - Yes, but you must reserve all the necessary tours until you arrive at the total group number, then indicate in the comments section that you will be travelling together. This is because the maximum capacity of the 4X4 is six people.
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.