Visit the enchanting Sahara Desert on a 4-day trip from Marrakech. Explore dirt roads, valleys, mountain passes, gorges, dunes and picturesque villages and discover this unique country.
4 Day Merzouga Desert Trip
Day 1: Marrakesh - Aït Benhaddou - Valley of the Roses - Dadès Gorges
After collecting you from your hotel, riad or from the airport, we'll head to Ouarzazate. On the way we'll pass through the striking Atlas Mountains via the stunning Tizi n'Tichka mountain pass, which offers spectacular views from its 2,260 metres.
Having crossed through the Atlas Mountains we'll arrive at Aït Benhaddou Kasbah, one of the most impressive fortified cities in Morocco and the emblematic filming location of movies such as Lawrence of Arabia, Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven.
We'll then take the Route of the Thousand Kasbahs to Skoura. Here, we'll stop to explore Amridil Kasbah before hitting the road to Kelaat M'Gouna, a pretty city in Tinghir Province and capital of the Valley of the Roses. At the end of the first day, we'll drive to the Dadès Gorges, where we'll spend the night.
Day 2: Dadès Gorges - Todgha Gorges - Merzouga
After breakfast, we'll set off towards the Dadès Valley, travelling through the incredible Todgha Gorges, where we'll have lunch.
With renewed energy, we'll continue on our journey in the direction of Merzouga, passing through the Jorf palm grove, an area known for its excellent dates, and Erfoud, home to intriguing fragments of fossils.
Having arrived in Merzouga, we will swap our 4x4s for camels to immerse ourselves in the desert and make our way to Bedouin camp where we'll spend the night and enjoy a traditional Moroccan dinner.
Day 3: Merzouga - Rissani-Alnif-Tazarine - Tizi N'Tfrkhin - Ouarzazate
We'll begin the third day of our tour in the most magical day: watching the sunrise over the desert. After an early start, we'll climb back onto our camels and head to a hotel where we'll shower and have breakfast (depending on the type of camp, it may be possible to shower and have breakfast before the camel ride).
On the way back to Ouarzazate, we'll take a different route. Passing the Tafilalet Palm Grove and the village of Rissani, ancient capital and home to the founder of the Alaouite Dynasty, we'll reach the town of Alnif. Here, we'll join the road that cuts across the stunning Anti-Atlas mountain range.
After taking in the spectacular colours and shapes of the mountains, we'll arrive at Tizi N'tfarkhin, Tinghir and an amazing palm grove in the Dadès Valley. At lunchtime, we'll stop at Klaat M'Gouna to eat and rest before continuing the route.
In the afternoon, we'll pass over the High Atlas mountains on our way to Ouarzazate, where we'll spend the night in a riad our kasbah.
Day 4: Ouarzazate - Marrakech
After a delicious breakfast, you'll have time to explore Ouarzazate at your own pace. We recommend visiting the Taourirt Kasbah and Atlas Film Studios, known as the Hollywood of the desert.
We'll drop you back off in Marrakech in the early afternoon.
There are two options, standard (2 - 3 stars) and luxury (4 stars):
- Standard Hotels: Kasbah Tifawe / Dar Essyaha or similar (Dadès), Haima Camp (Merzouga) and Hotel Les Jardins / Hotel Azoul or similar (Ouarzazate).
- Luxury Hotels: Azawad Luxury Desert Camp or similar (Merzouga). Accommodation is the same as the standard hotels in Dadès and Ouarzazate.
Both hotels and tents are double occupancy only, there are no single rooms. You can however ask for a triple room or a family room if you prefer. The standard category rooms have communal showers in the camp, while the superior category rooms have a private bathroom in the haimas and showers in the camp.
Hotel Pick Up
If you're staying outside of the Medina, we'll pick you up for free from the Cafe de France. If your hotel is in the outskirts of Marrakech, pick up will include a supplement of between € 10 (US$ 12.20) and € 40 (US$ 48.60) depending on the area.
Other excursions from Marrakech
If you'd like, you can do this excursion in a private group of just you and your partner, family or friends booking our Private Desert Trip.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 25 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 75% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 2 and 10 years old||Children under 2 years old|
Children between 2 and 10 years oldUS$ 151.90
Children under 2 years oldFree
Children between 2 and 10 years oldUS$ 212.70
Children under 2 years oldFree
* A reservation for one person will include a supplement.
The activity takes place with an escort that speaks in english and other languages.
Pick up from hotel, riad, airport or other meeting point.
Transport by 4x4 or air conditioned minibus.
English speaking driver.
3 nights accommodation with dinner and breakfast included.
Fuel, tolls and all associated costs.
Camel ride to the camp.
Lunches and drinks.
When to book?
You can book up until 12 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - What is the supplement for an individual room?
A - If you would like an individual room of the superior category, it costs €120. For standard, the supplement is €80.
Q - Is it possible to take a desert quad tour during the excursion?
A - Yes, you can add this activity, and others, when in the destination. The guide will take you to the quad rental so you can enjoy this activity at your own pace.
Q - Is it possible to bring luggage on the tour?
A - You can bring luggage, but during the excursion you must leave it in the hotel or bus. During the camel ride you can only bring a backpack.
Q - In which hotels is free pick up available?
A - We will contact you to specify the exact pick up time and place.
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 4 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.